- MSC celebrates that 20.000th sustainable MSC-labelled product comes from Migros
- Potential measures against the Faroe Islands
- Council Mandate Brings CFP Reform Closer
- North Sea RAC meets the Norwegian Fishermen’s Association
- European Commission unveils maritime strategy for the Atlantic
- All Aboard for the Reform of Common Fisheries Policy
- New Managing Director at Qalut Vónin
- Commission calls for cooperation to boost sustainable aquaculture in Europe
- Russia complains over EU-Mauritania Fisheries Partnership Agreement before WTO
- Damanaki at Seafood Expo 2013
- Damanaki launching new online market intelligence tool for fisheries
- Action Plan to save sea birds
- World`s largest Seafood Trade Fair opens tomorrow
- Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 22 April 2013
- Reviving the Mediterranean blue economy through cooperation
Fishermen develop ocean for renewable energy
A core group of fishermen initiated new company to respond to the public need to develop the ocean for renewable energy.
Fishermen's Energy of New Jersey, LLC, (FERN) a business founded by fishermen, initiated FERN to turn the North Atlantic coastal waters into an unmatched resource of renewable energy, windpower. It is fact that wind is a clean and constantly renewable resource. As the fishermen in Rhode Island have showed interest in this project FERN has sponsored Fishermen's Energy of Rhode Island, LLC (FERI) to extend similar infrastructure and benefits for the future of Rhode Island's fishing industry and at the same time FERN is also serving the energy needs of Rhode Island's public.
The fishermen intend with this project to transition their businesses into new, dynamic technologies for the benefit of the local public and business community, all while expanding local employment. For success of this project the Fishermen’s Energy will include the participation of the Rhode Island fishing community and will plan, build, operate, and maintain offshore wind farms to meet Rhode Island's energy master plan and renewable energy goals.
Fishermen’s Energy has decades of experience in the waters of the Atlantic, and our commitment to clean, safe, and renewable energy. And so its offshore wind farms will ensure the future of Rhode Island's fishing industry and renewable energy for generations to come.
It is fact that Fishermen’s Energy is the logical developers and harvesters of the renewable wind resources from the same waters for the benefit of the public. The main aim of the company is to develop not the first wind farm, but to monitor and mitigate the impacts in such a manner, post construction, that if the benefits outweigh the risks> It will pursue the opportunity to help the northeast states to build out the offshore wind capacity.
Daniel Cohen, president of Fishermen's Energy and president and principal shareholder of Atlantic Capes Fisheries, told that the company has comprehensive knowledge of seabottom conditions, marine and weather conditions, location of fish habitat, experience with the operation of heavy equipment in extreme coastal weather and sea conditions, and experience with marine construction and maintenance.
Source: Earth Times"
WorldFishingToday d. 06-06-2008