- MSC celebrates that 20.000th sustainable MSC-labelled product comes from Migros
- Potential measures against the Faroe Islands
- Council Mandate Brings CFP Reform Closer
- North Sea RAC meets the Norwegian Fishermen’s Association
- European Commission unveils maritime strategy for the Atlantic
- All Aboard for the Reform of Common Fisheries Policy
- New Managing Director at Qalut Vónin
- Commission calls for cooperation to boost sustainable aquaculture in Europe
- Russia complains over EU-Mauritania Fisheries Partnership Agreement before WTO
- Damanaki at Seafood Expo 2013
- Damanaki launching new online market intelligence tool for fisheries
- Action Plan to save sea birds
- World`s largest Seafood Trade Fair opens tomorrow
- Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 22 April 2013
- Reviving the Mediterranean blue economy through cooperation
Italian retail chain Esselunga joins Friend of the Sea and has its first trout product certified sustainable
The company is planning to have all its seafood products undergo Friend of the Sea assessment
The Friend of the Sea project expands further in Europe as it meets the trust of retail chain Esselunga, one of the main supermarket brands in Italy. Esselunga has decided to have all its seafood products undergo audit according to Friend of the Sea criteria for aquaculture and wild-caught products.
A first audit has already been run by an accredited certification body at the main trout producers cooperative in Trentino, in the Dolomites area of Northern Italy. The trout production, already known for its traditional small scale production and environmental care, has been certified and Esselunga branded trout products are already out on the shelves in Italy carrying the Friend of the Sea ecolabel.
“We have chosen to have Esselunga’s products being assessed according to Friend of the Sea criteria since the project has grown in credibility and expanded its presence worldwide in 2008” comments Mr Comelli, Purchase Manager of Esselunga “We want to select in the future our products only from certified and monitored sustainable sources and Friend of the Sea can ensure this”.
WorldFishingToday d. 12-05-2009