- MSC celebrates that 20.000th sustainable MSC-labelled product comes from Migros
- Potential measures against the Faroe Islands
- Council Mandate Brings CFP Reform Closer
- North Sea RAC meets the Norwegian Fishermen’s Association
- European Commission unveils maritime strategy for the Atlantic
- All Aboard for the Reform of Common Fisheries Policy
- New Managing Director at Qalut Vónin
- Commission calls for cooperation to boost sustainable aquaculture in Europe
- Russia complains over EU-Mauritania Fisheries Partnership Agreement before WTO
- Damanaki at Seafood Expo 2013
- Damanaki launching new online market intelligence tool for fisheries
- Action Plan to save sea birds
- World`s largest Seafood Trade Fair opens tomorrow
- Agriculture and Fisheries Council, 22 April 2013
- Reviving the Mediterranean blue economy through cooperation
Good season of shrimp ahead
Commercial fishers are working hard as the shrimp season is going to plump once again, says a report.
According to a report Oregon shrimpers are ready to capture Pacific pink shrimp in every April through October. But the season never a cakewalk for them as they work in slightly more civilized weather. The season is designed to avoid the reproductive period of shrimp stocks. Even so, and for reasons not completely understood, the annual harvest varies on a roller-coaster cycle, from as many as 57 million pounds to as few as 4 million.
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said that 2011 was a fantastic season. They predict that 2012 is going to be a good season as prognosis shows another above-average harvest. For one thing there's been a shift in populations of adult hake, major predators of pink shrimp. Hake seem to be heading away from the southern shrimp beds toward deeper waters.
All shrimp trawlers are well equipped with bycatch-reduction devices (BRDs). Mandatory in Oregon since April 2003, BRDs are designed to dramatically reduce the catch of other fish. Commercial fishermen are ready to enjoy this Pacific Northeast treat.
WorldFishingToday d. 21-04-2012